EPISODE #8 - Straight Talk With Better Vision: Mary & Sam Giveen - Part 2
We are back for part 2 of our unusual and candid interview with Dr. Sam Giveen and Mary Giveen of Dr. Sam’s Eye Care in New Hampshire. Blaine has known Mary for over 20 years, and she came to us at Slow Burn Marketing for rebranding Sam’s practice when she joined him in his eye care business. They’ve also experienced challenges both personal and professional, and ridden them out. In this episode, we’re going to hear more about how Dr. Sam, an introvert who shies away from the spotlight, has come to grips with the local celebrity that his wife has helped create for him. We’re going to hear about the pride that Mary takes in being Mrs. Dr. Sam. There’s unusual but usable advice that Sam has for any married couple thinking about going into business together. And an interesting perspective on the ins and outs of being in business with a romantic partner from a woman who has done it more than once.
FOR ITUNES, CLICK HERE
FOR SOUNDLCOUD, CLICK HERE
DOWNLOAD THE MP3 BY RIGHT-CLICKING HERE AND SELECTING "SAVE AS"
THE SHOW NOTES
Sam & Mary Giveen came together after being separated by an entire continent and 35 years to marry and run Sam's business--despite having dramatically different personalities, and facing all kinds of unanticipated adversity that might've broken a lesser couple.
In the second part of our conversation with Sam and Mary Giveen of Dr Sam's Eycare, we delve further into how Sam and Mary work together despite disparate personalities. (He’s an introvert, she’s an extravert, he likes to ponder things over time, she likes to put plans into action immediately.) They offer advice on what a couple should consider before deciding to run a business together. Sam talks about how, as a shy guy, he copes with having been turned into a local celebrity. They talk about their system for dealing with disagreements, and grapple with the lightning round questions as they answer the Fearsome Five.
• Running a business is permanently in the back of your mind and you can't escape that
• Before considering running a business as a couple, have a trial period, because you really have no idea what the outcome will be
• How Sam and Mary make each other better (03:12)
• How Sam has worked to improved his people skills, and what happened when he became a local celebrity (04:57)
• Mary's advice for couples who want to go into business together (09:58)
• Sam's advice for couples who want to go into business together (12:23)
• Honey and Blaine's “Option C Strategy” when they don't agree (14:06)
• How all couples have to find their own ways of dealing with disagreement (15:35)
• More on how Honey and Blaine deal with disagreement and settling on the right idea (16:44)
• How Mary and Sam deal with disagreement by splitting up responsibilities (20:52)
• The single most important piece of advice they would give to couples wanting to go into business together (23:32)
• Does running a business as a couple make the lean times easier? (27:23)
• How, through running the business, Mary has learned to relax and let things happen (32:15)
• How Mary has respect and admiration for how Sam manages his patients (34:21)
• How Sam doesn't tell smokers that they need to stop but instead finds ways to help them figure out for themselves that they need to stop (35:21)
• The Fearsome Five begins with pet peeves (36:31)
• Which person, living or dead, they would hire (37:24)
• What do they do to get each other’s goat (38:22)
• Their best date night ever (39:52)
• Describing each other's best qualities (41:11)
Doctor Sam's Eyecare